Sunday, October 18, 2009

Nothing but the good...

Good things happen, but I'm finding that there are times when no one wants to hear them, everyone just wants you to be miserable so that they can feel better about being miserable themselves. Some people may be able to live like that, but not me. So, with all the green eyes I'm around, this is my outlet for the good...

One of the county administrators, DR, always speaks about what a good teacher I am, yet had never seen me teach. While it may be okay for most to have this happening, I wanted it to be based in something, so I invited her into my classroom. Two really great things came of this. First, one of the other teachers, K, needed to make up time for a workshop she missed, so came to help me get ready for Friday. It wasn't a huge deal, or anything that required tons of work, but just having someone to talk to while I got my Friday stuff together was nice. She also did some small things that are going to really help in my classroom, and I'm trying to make sure she knows how much I appreciate it.

Friday DR came and was an absolute part of my class. She helped a struggling student understand a concept, she sat on the floor and learned the lesson I was teaching a group, and she even gave permission to students to go to the bathroom. It was amazing. We spoke after my kids left for art, and she has big ideas for me. I shared with her some concerns that I had, nothing major but things that are nagging at me, and she eased my concerns. It was so great to have her there, and to have a moment to shine.

A family I work with invited me to lunch today, which, while small, was huge. We and another teacher sat around the table and laughed and didn't say one word about work. I haven't had such a good time in a while. I then volunteered to take the oldest girl shopping so that mom didn't have to. That, too, was just a fun adventure. I'm glad that the family has adopted me as one of their own.

Other small smiles from the past few days, that don't need stories but deserve a mention-
TL brought me lunch Thursday and Friday!
I had dinner and went to a football with great friends Friday night.
I ran over 9 miles on Saturday
I got Nike pants today. :)

No comments: